[no subject]

Subject: Re: Automakized dpkg
From: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu>
Date: 04 Mar 1997 14:46:38 -0500

Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On 3 Mar 1997, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > Wow.  I suspect this makes you the New Dpkg Expert.
> Hmmm... I must have spent around 20-30 hours looking at the Makefile's...
> but the sources, I haven't touched, other than checking that #define's are
> actually used in the correct places (instead of hardcoding
> Debian-specific dirs, like /var/lib/dpkg).

Smart move, ducking responsibility like that. :-)

> Yes - they are only re-built if the manuals-version or the .sgml files
> have changed. :)

If I ever have children, I will name _all_ of them after you.

> > Galen Hazelwood, the gcc maintainer, has a version of dpkg that has
> > been i18n'd.  This would probably be a great thing to be integrated
> > into your changes.
> Thanks. Are his patches still up-to-date and on master.debian.org? (I
> vaguely remember his original announcement).

If they are not up to date, it should be in an only minor way---his
patches were done around 1.4.0.6, and there have been just a handful
of changes since then, and none I would expect to matter.

And yes, I believe he has them in his home dir on master.

> > I, too, though, would suggest that this be put in 'experimental' or
> > some such---just to satisfy the paranoid among us.
> OK... (source only package, of course).

I apologize, 'paranoid' was very much the wrong word---I *did not*
mean to suggest you were in any way untrustworthy, or that binaries
would be suspicious.

What I meant to say was that it may not be appropriate for it to be in
unstable, given the imminent code freeze and the relative lack of
testing---especially if you're able to integrate Galen's i18n'd
version.

I really should have worked harder at finding something other than
'paranoid' to express that---it just carries too much baggage.  Sorry.

> OK - you should be able to download from Incoming soon - I'll upload it
> as a source-only "dpkg-am".

Cool.

Mike.