Re: [RFC] Restructuring of the Debian Project

From: Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de>
> As a matter of fact the author firmly believes, the the compliance
> with existing standards like POSIX, SVID and XPG shall be the
> ultimate goal of any development of a Unix-compatible operating
> system.

We can comply with them but can probably never be certified. For
example, POSIX requires many thousands of dollars for one of four
professional labs in the world to certify each of our releases for
compliance, or we could operate our own lab, but this would require
$5000 to $10,000 per year in payment to NIST, and a good deal of labor.
X/Open requires at least $60/unit for Unix branding.

For this reason I feel that the free software world should eventually
start developing truly open standards.

> The Board of Directors should appoint a new Project Leader to
> ensure continuous leadership.

The position is not open. I am serving out my present term, which ends
on January 10 1998. At that time I might decide to run for another term.

> All affiliations with "Software in the Public Interest" should be
> terminated.

This would adversely affect our tax status. The name of our corporation
should not be that of a product for technical reasons having to do with
getting tax-exempt status.

> The Board of Directors should call for a vote by developers and
> users regarding the proposal of a fee collected from CD
> manufactures.

Unfortunately, this has to be a donation, not a fee, or we run into
tax problems.

> The Board of Directors should select from the active developers
> a well-skilled group of no more than 15 people to form the "core
> developers group", which will build and maintain the unified
> source tree.

Uh, a closed development model? No thanks. We are doing very well with
the open one, while the BSD-like developments are not doing nearly as well.

The rest of your proposal sounds generally pretty far from our present
paradigm, which has worked very well so far. I think you should bring
up the topics for discussion one at a time. If you bring them all up at
once few of them will be discussed in full.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.