Re: dpkg/dselect development

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Klee Dienes wrote:

> Ian Jackson writes:
>
> > I think this is an excellent idea.  Klee, you have the job.
> > If you don't want to deal with certain difficult technical issues feel free
> > to farm them out, but particularly with the separation of the
> > dependency-checking code I'd like to have a veto over the choice of
> > implementor.
>
> Great!  Glad to hear it.  I'll post a list of my plans and current
> priorities for dpkg/dselect early next week for debate.  I plan to
> spend the rest of the weekend closing out bugs against my current
> packages so I can start the job with a clean slate, and so I can take
> some time to go through the old mailing-list discussions and bug list
> to get a better sense of the current state of affairs.
>
> I'd appreciate it if anyone currently working on projects related to
> dpkg/dselect would send me a short description of what they're working
> on and how far they've gotten, as well as things they might be
> interested in working on and any appropriate qualifications they might
> have.

I've automakized+libtoolized it, and gettextized (updated Galen's
patches). Totally finished, but still some very minor bugs.

> I have no problem giving you (Ian) veto power over the choice of
> implementor for the separation of the dependency routines into a
> separate library.  My guess is that I'm going to end up doing that
> part myself, but I'd be happy to receive offers from anyone else who
> might be interested.

I would be - having already done quite a bit of examination on the
appropriate code, I am fairly able to do this.

> With your permission, I'd also like to (at least in the beginning)
> send a short summary of any code changes I plan to make (even minor
> ones) for your review, so I can make sure that I'm not missing any
> design assumptions or subtleties that might not be immediately
> apparent from the code.  Does that sound reasonable to you, at least
> in the beginning?

Please post this to debian-private.

- --
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>			http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP ID 87D4D065, fingerprint 2A 66 86 9D 02 4D A6 1E  B8 A2 17 9D 4F 9B 89 D6
finger tom@master.debian.org for full public key (also available on keyservers)