Re: Enough! (was "Debian mailing list disaster")

Hi Bruce Perens;  On 08-Mar-97 you wrote:
> He is the volunteer that I chose. I refuse to give you his resume!

Excuse me?  Do you OWN the Debian organization?  And we are all your
slaves to execute without a question???

I have kept my mouth shut for a long time.  You may have, in the past,
contributed very valuably to the Debian project.  There is no denying
that.  Lately YOU are behaving in an irresponsible tantrum-like manner!

Please coll down, look around and count the flowers.  The Debian effort
is NOT yours, nor mine.  It is a collective, group effort.  If you want
changes made, you get a concensus, not a tyranic ``shut up'', nor a
tantrumatic ``rm -rf'', nor a childish (calculated?)  ``I quit, please
beg me to come back.''

I have put into this project a lot more than most of you.  At least as
much as you, Bruce, and the fact that my wife health is so poor I do
not have time to follow these contortions does not mean I do not care
about hte project.  I care.  I was counting on you to behave as a
leader should, and this is why I kept my mouth shut.

You are behaving in a manner that is unacceptable.  Maybe some people
in this project think it is acceptable, maybe some are not aware of
your behavior.

I am asking you, again, to cool off, introduce this new person to us
in a polite manner, open the issue of mailing list handling to fair
and equitable discussion.  The concensus of the group shall be executed
and not your whim.  Counting on your whims is dangerous.  You have
demonstrated it several times in the past few weeks.

If you continue in this manner, you will split the Debian group.
The loosers will be you and the users.  you will loose, because, this
behavior, going unchecked, will return, in a worse manner and you will
be facing the same rift again.  People are, overall not stupid, just
sometimes slow to grasp.  People involved in this project are
definitely not stupid.  None of them!

> Now mind your own business.

Oh, we all are, Bruce.  This is our business as much as it is yours.

BTW, I served 5 years in a very regimented army.  Even then, any
commander who counted on rank, rahter than cooperation lasted, at
most, UNTIL the first battle, never, through it.  Think about it.

Simon