Re: Changing the way we deal with source archives

Bruce Perens writes:
> From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
> > I have several packages which I rename to fit the <package>-<version>
> > convention.
>
> You can go on doing that. I think it's packages that already comply to the
> GCS that we want to be able to pass on with the source unmodified.
>
> > Additionnaly, I have a couple of packages where some stuff from the original
> > file has been deleted (because it's not built for Debian). It's only
> > esoteric features. The deletion of a part of the source tree is documented
> > in the README.debian.
>
> I would suggest you do the deletion in such a way that the .diff.gz file
> calls out the fact that files have been deleted rather than delete them
> from the upstream source and then upload a modified version of the upstream
> source. Changing the upstream source that way feels gratituitous to me,
> perhaps this is something I'm too prissy about, but I'd like to preserve
> trace-ability of any modifications that Debian people made to a package.

I maintain (or have maintained, I'm not sure which package I'm talking
of) a package which would break with the whole concept.

The package comes from DOS and therefore filenames are

NAME.C
NAME.H
FILE.C
FILE.H
MAKEFILE

and the like, inside of them they use lower case filenames, for sure...
This means that first you have to rename all files and then start a
try of compiling the package.

Regards

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Kernel-Patching in DOS? Selten so gelacht!   -- Jochen Schoof /