Re: xterm segfaults from environment variables - too obvious (fwd)

Approved-By: aleph1@UNDERGROUND.ORG
Date: 	Tue, 11 Mar 1997 02:50:36 -0800
Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQ@NETSPACE.ORG>
From: Alex Belits <abelits@PHOBOS.ILLTEL.DENVER.CO.US>
Subject:      Re: xterm segfaults from environment variables - too obvious
To: BUGTRAQ@NETSPACE.ORG

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, David Luyer wrote:

> Firstly, the bug.  What a joke.  A segfault from xterm this easily.
>
> Putting a large string into in LC_CTYPE or LANG will cause xterm from
> Debian-1.2.8 (the latest and supposedly stable and secure) Linux to
> segfault.

  This bug is fixed for x86 unices in XFree86 3.2 and for others in
X11R6.3. Or at least documentation and developers claim so. I have tested
it on XFree86 3.2, and it doesn't segfault xterm (while test program, of
course, gets its SIGSEGV). What versions of X and libc are in
Debian-1.2.8?

--
Alex

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
               "It takes all kinds, and to each his own.