Re: Debian WWW Guidelines?!

On 12 Mar 1997, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> As far as tables go, about 2% of people browsing my web pages use
> Lynx. It's probably about the same percentage for www.debian.org.
>
> That's not a lot of people, but it is not small enough to completely
> ignore. I suggest the following for the guideline:
>
>   Authors can use tables if they want, but it is suggested that
>   authors avoid tables if reasonably possible.
>
> BTW, lynx has been able to ignore tables for several years.

it is possible to redirect to a different index page depending on whether
the browser supports tables or frames or not.

I use PHP on my web server, and the main index.phtml looks like:

    <?/* redirect for lynx browsers
     *
     */;if (ereg("Lynx",$HTTP_USER_AGENT)) ;
    header "Location: noframes/index.html" ;
    else ;
    header "Location: frames/index.html" ;
    endif ;>

i've only just started experimenting with frames/non-frames versions
of my pages. i don't particularly like frames, but they have their
uses. I think they would be very useful in mailing-list archives or
bug-report archives. They certainly make writing a database app with a
web front-end a LOT easier.

The same (ereg("Lynx", $HTTP_USER_AGENT)) test can be used to vary the
html output on the fly.

    <?
        if (ereg("Lynx",$HTTP_USER_AGENT)) ;
            include "table.preformatted.html" ;
        else ;
            include "table.html" ;
        endif

it's even possible to write php functions which generate a table from,
say, a tab delimited file. the generated table could be either a
<PRE>...</PRE> preformatted text table or a <TABLE>...</TABLE> style
table depending on the $HTTP_USER_AGENT variable.

some of this is probably possible with standard apache .shtml - i don't
know...i can find docs on PHP but none on Apache SSI. i tend to use PHP
for all of my server side scripting. it's freeware, it can be compiled
as an apache module or as a cgi, and it has a lot of useful features
like built-in support for msql, mysql, postgres95 and other databases.
see http://www.vex.net/php/

craig