Re: Draft 3 of the homepage is up for evaluation.

On 19 Mar 1997, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Kai Henningsen <kai@khms.westfalen.de> writes
>
> > [...] However, you do seem to be under the impression that textmode
> > browsers are somehow "obsolete". I don't think there are any facts
> > around to support this idea.
>
> Text-mode browsers that don't support text-based HTML 3.2 features
> such as tables are out-of-date and possibly obsolete.

are text mode browsers that don't support in-line gifs obsolete too?
That's part of the standard too.

one thing you seem to be forgetting is that not everyone has a 32mb
machine to run netscape on. many people are still running linux on 8mb
boxes - trying to run X & Netscape/Mosaic/Amaya/whatever in 8MB would
strain anyone's patience. Even 16MB is not enough IMO - i've got better
things to do with my time than wait for a computer to swap.

Also, many high-end linux boxes don't have screens and don't run X -
they are used as servers of one sort or another (nfs, web, proxy, etc).
There is a need to be able to browse debian web pages and documentation
from them over a telnet session.

it's not difficult to write HTML which views well in both text &
graphical browsers, so we should do so. It's not difficult to run
Netscape & Mosaic & Lynx and even Internet Explorer to make sure that
the web pages look OK in a variety of different browsers.

> Emacs w3-mode is not obsolete as it correctly handles tables. Lynx,
> can't handle them, therefore it is. HTML 3.2 is a public standard and
> has been around for over a year, longer if you count the previous
> incarnations.

what does it matter if lynx is obsolete? it still exists and is in
fairly widespread use - it is the best available text-mode browser. It
is also being actively maintained, eventually it will be able to handle
tables properly...until then we have to cater to it's limitations.

craig