Re: Mailing list problems

Pete:
> I've gotten two requests from Martin Schulze for an account on
> the machine that runs the lists.  I haven't created an account for him,
> but one existed on the machine that hosts the lists since BEFORE I became
> the list administrator.

I made one for Martin Schultze and one for Mike Neuffer, because they
were the most vocal critics of mailing list policy and I didn't want
them to feel as if they were locked out.

> There's a nearly complete hot backup in place at an academic institution
> (that machine belongs to me: templinux.bucknell.edu) with hourly updates
> from the master site, and an additional daily "backup" is done to
> master.debian.org if I understand correctly (I'm not involved in that).

I told them that your system at Bucknell would be the primary server,
this has not been the case due to Bucknell politics but you seem to
be able to administer the machine in Texas just as well. You have the
root password, etc. About the only thing we don't have at present is
an X-10 switch to power-clear the machine remotely if it's stuck. We
could get one if necessary.

> In the hopes of ending the CRAP here, I'll remind one and all that I have
> some plans to further coordinate and synchronize the hot-site backup with
> the master, and to make the "transition" automatic, merely using DNS MX
> records.  It won't be a couple of keystrokes, though, as I need to make
> sure that subscriptions are properly handled by BOTH sites no matter WHICH
> site actually gets the initial email.

Good plan.

Also considering using the complainers as resources. They can't claim
that they aren't interested in the problem, and they should have at least
as much energy to work on it as they have for complaining. Master.debian.org
is Mike Neuffer's system. Martin Schultze is attempting to maintain his own
backup of the mail server, and perhaps you should include him in your MX
scheme.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.