Re: hot-site backup for master.debian.org

From: joey@debian.org (Martin Schulze)
> Very nice that now you're looking for a backup.

I announced this two months ago when the machine was donated. Please go
through list archives for the words "novare" (or I might have spelled it
"novarre") and "hot-site".

There are also some reasons I really do think I-Connect should not be
providing us with as much as they do today. They have been terribly
overworked and Simon's wife is sick. I'm not sure that donating half of
a T1 and their other services is helping their business or their lives at
this moment. I'd be happy to help take some of the load off of them if
they wanted that.

> Very nice that you have asked project members if they could help.

I actually have. That's where this system came from (Novare are Debian
users). I also have asked others to help in administering it, and have
offered to give root privileges to those who would help. If you want to
spend time administering the system, I'd give you root privilege too.
You and Mike Neuffer have had a login on that computer for longer than
anyone but me, weeks before any other developer. You can't really claim
to not know it was there, nor what it was for.

> Very nice that you have discussed this topic before.  Or am I wrong
> and this isn't an important decision for Debian?  Let me guess this is
> day-to-day work that ought you to do.

I did discuss it. Go back in your list archives, please. It actually came
up before the logo suggestion.

> Very nice that you have asked project members if they want to switch
> to a machine that is maintained (or at least (co-)owned) by a person
> who contributed that horrible FreeOS logo.

We haven't vilified anyone else who has contributed to the logo page,
even though some of them were "horrible".

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.