Re: Open letter to Martin Schulze

> This is a problem. However, the loudest opposition suffers from the
> opposite problem - they seem to think that they got The Truth[tm].
>
> It's an easy decision for me. Under no circumstances do I want to trust
> people who own The Truth[tm].

Very good. And now you are in a position to advise with me about Debian
management. This I conceive to be the discussion that stands before us:
the developers want the attain that kind of system by which men order
the state of their house, and know when to receive and when to send away its
members and strangers, as a good organization should know. Now, to whom
should we go in order that we may learn this wisdom? Did not my previous
arguments state clearly that we should send them to those who profess and
vouch that they have experience, and are ready to impart their advice
to any one who likes?

  Of all the people who profess that they know how to do men good, do you
mean to say that these are the ones who not only do them no good, but instead
corrupt those who seek advice in them, and in return for this disservice
have the face to continue to post on this list? Indeed, I cannot believe you;
How could it be that a craftsman of old shoes, or patcher of clothes, who made
the shoes or clothes worse than he received them, could not have remained
undetected and would not very soon have starved, or persons who advise that
the administration of Debian be similar to other projects that
have been successfull on internet are out of their minds?

 Lets calmly consider whether any of these advisers corrupt the rest.
Will not the good man, who says whatever he says with a view to the best,
speak with a reference to some standard and not at random; He describes all
things in order, and compels one advice to harmonize with all others, until
he has constructed a regular and systematic whole and give order and
regularity to the house. And the house in which order and regularity prevail
is good, that in which there is disorder is evil. How could it then be that
those who encourage order harm the rest, when a well ordered house is a well
administered house?

--
Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida