Re: Possible Partnership

> > [commercial debian partner]
> > Good news, just one question:
[..]
> > Also, I maintain gs (in the core distr), and gs-aladdin (in non-free).
> > Would that mean I would have to give up gs-aladdin? Again, to me it
> > makes much more sence if they were to keep the debian release of both
> > packgase, and, if they feel they can improve eighter of them, just
> > release an improved version of that (or both) packages. Then, if
> > I later agree with their changes, I'd just copy their changes into
> > the "ordinary" (core+non-free) debian release.
>
> I would try to set it up such that (for this example), you would still
> maintain both packages, but the files uploaded to "non-free" would actually
> reside on their site instead of master.debian.org.  I can't see why they
> would have any problem with this.
>
> Moving "contrib" and "non-free" completely out of Debian is not a necessity
> of this partnership, just a possibility.  I think the biggest gain from it
> for us would be the ability to say,

OK, that clears it up somewhat I (and I think some others) were thinking
the company would take over the non-free packages, but apparently you're just
thinking of moving the physical location of the files. Well, I guess most
mirrors will mirror both sites anyway, so that shouldn't make any
difference to me in the end.

--
joost witteveen     joostje@debian.org

I came, I saw, ..., well, it wasn't free so I left again. (LUA, 1988)