coworker's impression of debian

I persuaded a coworker to try out debian.

He gave some feedback.  This is not the word of a deity or anything, but
feedback is a good thing.

He used some install floppies, and installed the rest over NFS off a
local mirror I set up.

The main thing he said, and he said this five or six times, is "dselect
is horrible."  I have to agree.  I don't use dselect, myself.  We really
have to get rid of it, one way or another.

He also said he didn't like it that the install process asked So Many
questions, he'd prefer it if everything just installed, and then you
could configure it yourself later.  Personally, I think the ability to
be walked thru configuration is a plus (even tho I don't use that
either), but it shouldn't be required.  Novice users need it, experts
sometimes want it, and sometimes don't.

Finally, he mentioned that he didn't have a mouse attached to his system
during the install - so when he said "yes, I want to configure X now" he
wound up having to telnet in and kill some things off to continue the
install.  He probably could have used ctrl-alt-backspace, but you get
the point - it wasn't clear what to do, and this guy knows unix (many
variants) pretty well.

He did seem to have a positive impression of debian going nonprofit, the
large number of packages available, and the open development model.

I keep mentioning "I don't use" such-and-so.  I spent a fair amount of
time making it so we could install debian in a manner highly tailored to
our local environment, 100% noninteractively.  He didn't use that
procedure tho, because he's going to take this machine home, now that
it's installed - and my procedure assumes NFS access to many things is
ok.