Re: Metamail problem (bug in tcsh)

Alan> This appears to be a tcsh bug, but it shows up with metamail and
Alan> can be abused. Olaf's message follows below. I've also passed it
Alan> on to CERT
[...]
Olaf> Here's the info on metamail I promised to send you. The hole may be
Olaf> exploitable if you let metamail run showext for messages of type
Olaf> message/external-body. At least tcsh, and possily a few other csh's,
Olaf> do seem to do weird things when expanding command line arguments.
Olaf> If you give a script an argument of "foo FTP=/tmp/evilcmd", and it
Olaf> does
Olaf> 	  set var=$1
Olaf> this will assign foo to $var, and /tmp/evilcmd to $FTP. Unfortunately,
Olaf> metamail invokes showext with the mime attributes on the command line,

This is a feature of csh & relatives, no bug. It's documented that
'set' can set more than one variable at one with the syntax

  set var1=value1 var2=value2 var3=value3 ...

The bug is obviously in in the 'showext' script, which doesn't quote
$1. (A common error in shell programming...)

Roman