Re: /opt and non-free

Joes Hess wrote:
> Fabrizio Polacco:
> > Thus we will have a great place where to install packages that we don't
> > think they belong to the Debian Gnu/Linux OS, like those in non-free,
> > contrib (partially) and user contributed ones.
> >
> > Actually our feelings about non-free software are "visible" only on the
> > ftp site or on CDs; why don't make clear this distinction even in the
> > installed machines?
>
> Speaking as a user here, I don't *want* the layout of my filesystem to
> reflect the copyright of software on it. If I have software installed, I
> have decided that I can live with and abide by the copyright, and I don't
> want to have to worry about what the copyright of that software is, anymore.

I strongly agree with Joey.  The filesystem should be driven by
programming logic, not ethical values.

Personally, I believe it's too bad that some software isn't free, and I
will do my best to help make high quality software available to everyone.
But I don't _avoid_ non-free software just because it is non-free.
On the other hand, I believe that non-free and/or non-open standards
are truly evil, and are a justification for avoiding a programming
environment that uses them, to the extent permissible by one's work and
other circumstances.

Susan