Re: THOUGHT: New 'user-contributed' section?

Hi,

	I disagree with the sentiment that we should *only* have an
 upload area that is open to *all* people, and the testing group is
 all that we need to do testing.

	Firstly, there is no track record of how good, or timely, the
 group is, yet. I don't think we should modify policy trusting to an
 as yet unknown protocol.

	Secondly, maintainers can help with testing too, and have been
 the only testers we have so far. (Not just our own packages, that of
 others that we use too). It is folly to throw away a resource just
 because we have a new group of ``testers'', which are as yet
 unproven, even if they are good, the maintainers living off stable
 are useful in providing early warning.

	Thirdly, we are going through hoops (or will shortly) to
 validate developers identities, and we sign our packages, let us not
 loose the advantage partially by blurring the upload area.

	Fouthly, are testers permitted to make changes in packages?
 Are they security vetted like developers are going to be?

	By all means have an anonymous upload area. Just don't make
 unstable ``dangerous''.

	manoj

--
 "Captain Picquard trusts his bartender's instincts and saves the
 Federation." Karl's synopsis of a recent Star Trek episode