Re: THOUGHT: New 'user-contributed' section?

Hi,

	This, I like.

	manoj

>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

Dale> There have been several good suggestions generated by my
Dale> previous proposal that have lead me to modify my idea.

Dale> 1. Provide public-incoming (or user-contrib) where anyone may
Dale> upload their Debianized package.

Dale> 2. Continue to provide "unstable" where only packages uploaded
Dale> by "certified" developers will be placed (from
Dale> private/project/Incoming as is now done)

Dale> 3. Packages will move from public-incoming and unstable into
Dale> "tested" only when they have been verified sound by the testing
Dale> group. Packages from public-incoming will get more severe
Dale> testing to hunt for possible trojans.

Dale> I see two major advantages to this scheme. First: testing can
Dale> begin the day after a new release. That is, testing will be an
Dale> ongoing process, just like development is now. All the latest
Dale> packages will be available and segregated so that those who wish
Dale> to be on the "bleeding edge" will be satisfied without having to
Dale> worry about "outsiders". The "tested" tree can grow from base
Dale> files to the full system in a carefully integrated fashion. When
Dale> a full distribution of packages exists on "tested" it will be
Dale> possible to make a new release.

Dale> Are we getting closer to consensus?

--
 Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for
 going on believing as we already do.  -- James Harvey Robinson