Re: DPKG, RPM. Life sucks.

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es>
> > And we must find a way to prevent the installation of dangerous alien
> > packages, to avoid the "sysvinit syndrome".
>
> Lest we become xenophobic, we should consider how to mark packages
> that would break vs. those which would not. No doubt there are many
> packages that would work just fine on both distributions.
>
> Maybe just warning about non-debian packages would be enough?

Well, actually it would be much nicer if alien would refuse to install a
"foriegn" (for now read RedHat) package into any of the "core" areas of
the distribution unless those packages are 100% compatible with a Debian
system. Although applications packages can have problems finding paths to
needs they will not "hose" the system like some of the "core" packages
will.
Joey Hess is the currently listed maintainer of alien. How hard would it
be to impliment a "rejection" list in alien Joey?

Waiting is,

Dwarf