Re: DPKG, RPM. Life sucks.

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Dale Scheetz:
> > Well, actually it would be much nicer if alien would refuse to install a
> > "foriegn" (for now read RedHat) package into any of the "core" areas of
> > the distribution unless those packages are 100% compatible with a Debian
> > system. Although applications packages can have problems finding paths to
> > needs they will not "hose" the system like some of the "core" packages
> > will.
> > Joey Hess is the currently listed maintainer of alien. How hard would it
> > be to impliment a "rejection" list in alien Joey?
>
> Sorry for the delay, I've had mailing-list troubles.

Not to worry...even when they work properly mailing-lists are trouble.

> If I added a rejection list, it would have to be in the build stage, ie,
> alien would refuse to build a postentially dangerous package (and I would
> add a parameter that forces it to build it anyway.)

This sounds right to me.

> But who is going to maintain such a list? They would have to have equal
> exposure to redhat and debian. I can't do it, I don't even have access to a
> true redhat machine.
>
> Perhaps we could just assume that anything in base or maybe with Priority:
> essential should automatically be on the rejection list.

I think this is a good starting point, since these packages are the most
deeply integrated into the system and thus the easiest to break.
I expect that the bug reporting system will supply you with food for
thought on which other packages need to be added to the list, as well as,
what base packages can safely be removed from the list (can't think of any
at the moment). Users will define the other areas of broken integration.
It may be possible at some point to do "special case" translations when
building "certian" packages. Even without this special case feature the
information on the rejection list should become a clear declaration of the
differences between Red Hat and Debian.

Thanks for your contributions,

Dwarf