Re: Debian developer survey final results

From: Jim Van Zandt <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com>
> I suggest a runoff between the top two selections for two questions:

I think the problem is that we did not ask the right questions. After
the election was already started, someone suggested a choice like:

1. I am in favor of a benevolent dictator who has the power to appoint
   officers. The benevolent dictator is appointed to a one-year term
   by a board of directors, which is itself democraticaly elected by
   the developers.

I would add:

2. I am in favor of a benevolent dictator who does not have the power
   to appoint officers. Officers, including the benevolent dictator, are
   appointed to a one-year term by a board of directors, which is itself
   democraticaly elected by the developers.

3. I am in favor of a benevolent dictator who is elected to a one-year
   term directly by the developers. The benevolent dictator has the
   power to appoint officers.

4. I am in favor of a benevolent dictator who is elected to a one-year
   term directly by the developers, as are other project officers.

Given a number of scenarios like that, we might arrive at a consensus.
Part of the problem with the two questions below is that we didn't
combine all of the pieces into a single package that someone could
decide to support.

I agree with you that we established a mandate on some important questions.
Since I'm a _benevolent_ dictator, I feel I owe it to the developers to
clear up what they want to do about government organization.

	Thanks

	Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502