Re: Times report on Linux: should we respond?

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Andy Mortimer wrote:

> First of all, a bit of background. For those of you who don't know, The
> Times is a fairly well-respected British newspaper, and its technology
> magazine, Innovations, recently published a very damning article about
> Linux, based on last month's PCW cover CD, which I believe contained some
> version of Red Hat. The text of the article can be found at
>
> http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-Times/stiinnsnd01001.html?1129774
>
> but whether this is the full text, I don't know. If I can find somebody
> with a copy of the Times, I'll compare them and let you know.
>
> My question is, is it worth responding to this as a project? I personally
> found it highly offensive, but I don't really know whether it is worth
> responding to, or whether this would just be counter-productive. Your
> opinions would be welcomed.
>
> I haven't posted this to the devel or user lists, in case it caused a
> storm of flames etc, which we don't want. For all I know, of course, it
> could be already on the comp.os.linux.* newsgroups anyway, since I don't
> read them, but I didn't think it was worth the risk.
>
> Somewhat miffed,

The article _is_ highly offensive. To quote a bit:
"  The nasty piece of digital scurf in question is known as Linux
   and there are plenty of sad types who will tell you it is the
   future of personal computing. Do not fall for this bizarre line in
   geek thinking.
"

It doesn't matter wich version of Linux was tested (was it tested at all?).
The "article" itself says nothing about the distribution, the software
there in, or the recommended hardware to use it. It's only anti-Linux
(anti-Unix also) flames.

To anybody that reads this "piece of art" in a well-respected magazine and
believe what the writer says, Linux won't be better than the last-found
hard-disk-eraser DOS virus.

Some sort of coordinated answer from major Linux distributions is
really needed to blast away this kind of "articles" from _serious_
magazines.

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna