>From fluegel@paris.ZN.ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Sun Apr 20 15:00:20 1997
From: fluegel@paris.ZN.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Albert Fluegel)
Subject: AF-Backup
To: sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 20:56:33 +0200 (DFT)

Hello once again !

Below the license for distributing afbackup with the Debian
Linux distribution. If you have problems with it, let me know.
I'm sorry, i will probably not being able to answer your replies
before April, 26, but i'll try to do so anyway. See further
below my considerations concerning your feature request.

START OF LICENSE AGREEMENT

License agreement partners

Albert Fl"ugel, author of the afbackup-software,
providers and distributors of the Debian Linux distribution.

Definition

The Debian Linux Distribution is the collection of the Linux
base operating system, system services, auxiliary programs,
administration and other tools together with applications
provided by Debian as a package of the kind commonly known
under the term Linux distribution.

Distribution

Distributing afbackup on any media together with the Debian
Linux Distribution is allowed without any restriction as long
as no special additional charge is put on it except for copying
efforts. The effort for copying the software or manufacturing
the media may be priced in any way and is not covered by this
license. Nobody may charge anybody else for the afbackup-soft-
ware itself. The software has to be shipped together with the
Debian Linux Distribution but needs not to be on the same media
as the Linux operating system or another part of it.

(Free) Support

Albert Fl"ugel will try to give free support for the software
as far as possible and reasonable due to time and workload
limitations. He cannot grant this support however.
It is permitted to charge users of the software for support
and helpline services. People purchasing support and helpline
services for money must be made known to the author (Albert
Fl"ugel, af@zn.ruhr-uni-bochum.de). The same applies for those
people or companies selling the support. An email to the named
address containing support client or vendor is sufficient to
fulfil this license agreement. Albert Fl"ugel is not giving
free support to people or companies having a commercial support
relation with someone else. He will neither give free support
for this software to people or companies charging others for
support of it. Conditions for commercial support from Albert
Fl"ugel must be negotiated seperately.

Scope

This license is valid for the actual and all following releases
of afbackup until explicitely retracted from a certain (not yet
existing) version on. It is valid also for all other Linux
distributions basing on the Debian Linux Distribution.

END OF LICENSE AGREEMENT

FEATURE REQUEST

I don't consider it so very clever to pass the encryption key
as an argument to the program. Thus everybody could see it using
ps or in /proc/XXX/cmdline. Instead i'd like to suggest three
alternatives, i personally prefer the second one:

1.) Supply the encryption key in the /the/path/to/lib/backup.conf
    like any other parameter. The file should be unreadable for
    the rest of the world.

2.) Supply the encryption key in a own file /the/path/to/lib/cryptkey.
    If this file is not present, the compiled-in key is used. This
    file should be unreadable for the rest of the world.

3.) Provide a program, that patches the key into the compiled and
    linked executable binary.

Please select your favourite choice.

Regards,

   Albert