Re: Times report on Linux: should we respond?

On Apr 21, Michael Meskes wrote
> I cannot believe the Times publishes such a lousy part of journalism.

Actually, what's it some kind of 'OpEd' piece for the 'Innovation'
section. Seems like the WSJ isn't the only prestigious newspaper with very
good journalism but with OpEd pieces that play fast and loose with the
truth...

As to whether it's worth responding to that article... I'd very much tend
to side with Bruce and say 'no'. It's pretty obvious from reading the
article that the guy has his mind set... and also that he doesn't have a
clue. The article also has almost no content, being consituted at near 100%
of snide remarks, etc. (Quite a writing achievement!) ... Basically, I
don't think there's any point in starting a dialogue with something so
irrational as a basis...

I thought I'd insert a sarcastic comment about how we ought to axe
debian-user, since "[with Linux] when things go wrong, you are on your
own"... but I don't really feel like it right now.

  Christian

PS IMHO, the only kind one response that would have a chance of "cluing in"
the guy a bit would be sending newspaper/magazine clippings about Linux
(which, of course, don't <ahem> *quite* describe it at the "flavour of the
week for geeks")... But since the guy starts screaming when he sees a Linux
CD, he'd probably go into a seizure if he got more than one copy of these
press clippings.