Re: the first xearth data file

Joey Hess said:
> Susan G. Kleinmann:
> > ### Locations of Debian developers
> > ### Developed by Susan Kleinmann, April 25, 1997
> > ###
> > ### This file may not be distributed in a public xearth package, or
> > ### any other public package; it may however be distributed in a
> > ### Debian xearth package.
>
> How ironic...
>
> According to the new specs for what qualifies as "free" and is allowed in
> the debian distribtion that Bruce propsed, wouldn't this mean that this
> file cannot be distributed with debian? By the above copyright, it's not
> completly "free" in the GNU sense.

I understand your reaction, but I don't know right now exactly how
to deal with the problem.  I wrote that to protect the wishes of people
who responded to some of my questions with reservations.  These are
the expressions of reservations:

-------------------------------
* a) is it OK with you if your name is on the xearth map?

Sure. If it will be released generally, I'd prefer it without
an e-mail address though. I've started getting junk mail
recently

*b) is it OK with you if the
*    xearth datafile is distributed, e.g., with the xearth package or some
*    other package?

"Within debian, yes."

"You can put <name@some.host> in the database as long as no one but
developers get it. If the database is public please remove that address since
I use it almost only for system amdministration purposes."

"It would be good for us to have the three of them to keep
track of Debian mantainers, but that info should not be
distributed freely."

"I don't like to have my email address in a publicly
accessible database. If we could restrict the database to internal
use, I wouldn't object to email addresses."
-------------------------------

Maybe I went overboard interpreting these comments, maybe not.
But I believe just as strongly in preserving people's privacy (to the
extent that they want it) as I do in helping promulgate free software.
Unfortunately, that produces some thorny questions.

Here are some possible ways to solve the problem:
-- perhaps when Jim Pick finishes his WWW-input-form for this file,
he could attach to every data field which a developer fills in
a comment saying what the intended use/permissions/restrictions
of that data would be.
-- perhaps Jim could provide a menu of choices for a person's
wishes regarding the use/permissions/restrictions on that datum.
-- perhaps I could just strip all the mail addresses from the database
before releasing it.  (But then there are also a couple of developer's
locations that would have to be removed also to make it publicly
available.)

In any case, Joey, I do appreciate you concern and will try to help
implement whatever good ideas anyone comes up with.

Susan