Re: More massive uploads in the week before stable release

X, at least, had it's first shot at fixing a number of *very*
straightforward bugs, some of which have been around for hundreds of
days.  Feel free to test them further :-) And remember, the trade off
from my perspective as maintainer is "slight risk of instability"
vs. "lots of annoying reports from 1.3 users for things I've already
fixed in unstable"...  I think, all in all, 1.3 will be a better
release for having these things fixed, and there's not much risk to
the particular changes I made.  (Remeber, I only just took over
maintenance of X a couple of weeks ago...)

And besides, the most recent deadline is the "hand off to QA/testing"
deadline, not the "ok, that's it, we ship whatever's around" deadline,
right? So there *is* going to be at least a week of testing of this
release?  That way they can at least document what is still wrong
[if nothing else by listing the non-closed bugs that they can
duplicate...]

Xcontrib was a case where the package as existing in the archives had
*no* sources and no record of patches, plus was dependent on xcompat
which had none either :-( [There's a myth that the XFree86-3.1.2
sources were used for both, but it's just a myth...]  Shipping what
was there before would have been embarrassing, and not shipping
xcontrib at all would be even *more* embarrassing [debian not have
xeyes? people would *laugh* at us...]

As far as I'm concerned, unless qa people want another X build for
some reason, frozen is "out of my hands" now, so I don't have much to
say either way about how that happens.

Hope that answers your questions about *why* there have been lots of X
uploads (I don't know what else has been uploaded... x*.deb *alone* is
37M of your 57M, though.)  As for whether this warrants a release
delay, that's up to qa/test...