Re: ftp.freelinux.org

Mike:
> We are working on implementing those things that can currently not be done
> in the Debian environment, even so slowly more people (as recent
> discussions show) now at least seem to realize the advantages of the usage
> of a source tree and CVS.
>
> We are taking a aproach that is new for Linux and common for more mature
> Unixes (free and commercial).

OK, but remember I offered you the opportunity to do that within Debian.
Note the following message:

! From bruce Wed Mar  5 17:44:47 1997
! From: Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net>
! > It is not a fundamental _change_ it is an _addition_ (well that implies a
! > change, if you want to split hairs) that makes live a lot easier.
!
! OK. Show me. Take the current base packages and unpack their source.
! Put a top-level Makefile above them. Feed changes back to the maintainers
! if there is anything wrong with their debian/rules files that keeps them
! from building in this scheme (and there should not be, as far as I can
! tell). Check the result into CVS. Document how to use the above. Set the
! developers of the base packages loose in the system, and let them decide
! if it gains them anything.

At the time, Dominik found a (real) problem with dpkg-source that prevented
him from extracting the source files, and dropped the ball. No further work
was done on the CVS demonstration. The problem was not so big that it was
difficult to work around (I had to do it at least once).

I just want to make it really clear that you did not have to create
your own organization, complete with web sites and its own domain name,
to do this. In addition, we're working on central-source compilation
(Klee said he'd work on it as part of our security team), so you didn't
need an organization for that. So I'm still confused about what you
wanted to achieve by creating a separate organization. I'm not saying
that you don't have the right to do so or that you should not do so,
but at the moment I am far from clear on your reasons for doing so.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.