msdos-i386 directory...

I think I have discussed this problem on this list before, but if not I
will go over the issue once more.
The msdos-i386 directory tree is intended to provide msdos users with 8.3
file name access to the archive. The problem is that the tree us useless
for that purpose unless you have a *nix box to do the download with.
When I try to copy this tree from a CD on an msdos machine I get nothing
but zero length files. This result is experienced when downloading from
the ftp site, at least with the software I have available on the dos
machine.
I have done some experimenting, and if the links are made hard links
before the CD is pressed the file transferrs properly onto the dos machine
and dselect can install it.
The problem is that I don't want to go through by hand and update the
links, and I can't quite figure out how a script would handle it. I looked
around and the -l option on cp seemed to be what I wanted, but it doesn't
do what I expected/needed.
Is there an "easy" way to convert symbolic links to hard links?

Thanks,

Dwarf