Re: msdos-i386 directory...

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 29.05.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970529133059.2616B-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> using Trumpet Winsock from windows tell me that they could not get the
> files from my site that were symbolic links, they only got the link. If
> this is a problem at my end, I need to understand what to do. My
> impression is that many DOS/Windows ftp clients don't have the facility of
> following links. I haven't had an opportunity to test these issues, since
> doing so would require setting up a machine and an account, neither of
> which do I have resources for at the moment.

That doesn't make much sense - it's the server, not the client, that has
to follow that link. In fact, the server should not even be *able* to give
out the "pure" link.

My guess - as I wrote in a parallel message - is that the ftp client tries
to be clever, and shoots itself in the foot. If I were a betting person,
I'd bet high odds that this is a bug in the client - and still good odds
that it's either only a single client, or all of those come from a common
code base.

And all of them are probably visual ftp clients. I can't imagine a command
line client getting that wrong.

Please, find a concrete scenario that goes wrong (which exact ftp client -
version, please - and which ftp server). We should find out what's really
going on, here, before this gets us bad publicity.

> > I wrote a (currently messy) patch to mkisofs that allows complex
> > transformations to be performed on the unix names before they get written
> > to the CD as 8.3 names.
> >
> > With a bit of luck, this should allow a CD to be produced that contains
> > for example:
> >
> >   bo/binary-i386/admin/pcmcia-modules-2.0.29_2.9.5-2.deb
> >
> > when mounted using RockRidge, but under DOS shows the same file as:
> >
> >   STABLE/BINARY/ADMIN/PCMMD229.DEB
> >
> > not because it is linked, but because that is the real iso9660 name that
> > RockRidge allows us to see in the longer form.
> >
> > Would this fix your problem ?
> >
> As I understand it, DOS doesn't understand RockRidge. I build my CDs with
> -R. If DOS understood this then it would already have the kludged up
> RockRidge 8.3 file names available.
> So, I think the answer is: "No, it will not help.".

Bad guess. This is supposed to work _because_ DOS doesn't understand
Rockridge; if it did, it would see the long name.

And yes, this would most certainly solve the problem for CDs.

MfG Kai