Re: msdos-i386 directory...

> Well, the simpler solution is to turn the symbolic links into hard links.
> Thanks to a one line perl program from Guy I can do this easily, and will
> be providing such links on my Gold CDs. This probably doesn't work for the
> archive though.

In the short term, the hard links is almost certainly the way to go.

I'm sorry to keep returning to this, but there is a question that I've tried
to ask both here and on the mkisofs list, and it keeps getting buried in the
related issues --- I'll try rephrasing it:

 What do the files/directories look like when a CD is mounted on a DOS system ?

 If they are full of meaningless file names, can you imagine a transformation
 that would result in a usable directory tree (or is this no good because of
 symbolic links between binary-i386 and binary-all) ?

 If there is a useful file system hiding behind the 8.3 names, is it worth
 putting effort into making the short names useful ?

I don't use DOS, so this doesn't really affect me, but if it were possible to
make CD's without the msdos-i386 dirs it seems like the most elegant solution.

It would probably be another unique feature for Debian to be able to produce
CD's that look the way Linux users want them on Linux, and the way DOS users
want them on DOS.

Cheers, Phil.