Re: [linux-alert] Vulnerability of suid/sgid programs using libXt

Your message dated: Fri, 30 May 97 18:05:31 +0300
> Alexander O. Yuriev wrote:
> >
> > XTERM(1) and xterm derived programs
> >
> >      Unfortunately, you cannot remove suid bit from the xterm(1) and
> >      programs derived from it withot losing part of functionality. The
> >      advice by authors of exploits from bugtraq to squash suid bit prevents
> >      xterm(1) from changing ownerships of tty devices allowing any user on
> >      system to read information from terminal devices.
> >
> >      This looks like a lose-lose situation unless you are willing to disabl
> >      xterm(1) program completely (and leave with it being disabled ) until
> >      the fixed version becomes available. Basically, you should consider
> >      risks of someone from your system running xterm(1) and gaining root
> >      access to a system vs. not being able to run xterm(1) at all and vs.
> >      running xterm(1) as non-suid application which would allow one user to
> >      intercept keystrokes of another. It is your choice but no matter what
> >      you decide to do, think about the consequences first.
>
> I have used another approach, which only works with xdm.
>
> My GiveConsole script does this:
> chown $USER /dev/tty /dev/ttyp*
> chmod 600 /dev/ttyp*
>
> TakeConsole does this:
> chown root /dev/tty /dev/ttyp*
> chmod 666 /dev/ttyp*
>
> Xterm looks like this:
> -rwxr-sr-x   1 root     xterm      127896 Jan 20 13:13
> /usr/X11/bin/xterm
> (I have added a new group xterm)
>
> /var/run/utmp looks like this:
> -rw-rw-r--   1 root     xterm         840 May 30 17:44 /var/run/utmp
>
> The idea is to let users login under xdm as usual, while still logging
> all xterm sessions in utmp (that's why the setgid xterm is for).
>
> I could skip the setgid part using a patch to xdm to log user logins
> instead (I have one available at
> http://www2.lmn.pub.ro/ftp/Linux/Patches/xdm.patch.* which does this
> among other things).

Interesting except that I do not see how it helps in a case of someone
telnet'ing in, doing export DISPLAY=blah and running xterm? Any ideas? Oh, I
hope you do not mind that I CC'ed this message to two distribution
maintainers and Matt Bishop from UC Davis Computer Security Lab

Alex