Re: Lightweight Marketing Blurb

> Does our kernel have the fix for the PingOfDeath? (I sure hope so, but
> after the kernel discussion, I'm not sure.)

I think that's in since 2.0.27.

NT on the other hand seems to be revealing new ways to kill it over a network
on an almost weekly basis, and some of them are very sad.

> >   It runs twice as fast on the same hardware.
>
> By what measure? Dangerous ground here.

Sorry about this, I was obviously feeling frivolous when I wrote it.

But on the other hand, since the M$ marketing strategy would seem to rely on
telling bare faced lies some of the time, might we not indulge in saying
things that, while not strictly provable, are effectively true in a number of
situations.

I normally find myself on the other side of this argument (trying to get
marketing droids not to lie too much), but since we don't have any marketing
droids, I think we might have to present the facts creatively ourselves.

Press releases that look like Unix manpages are not going to get printed.

> >   It runs on much lower spec hardware,
> >     and doesn't need 100's of megabytes of swap space.
>
> No? Then what do I have a swap partition for?

Oh, an NT support chap told me that his company policy was to install NT with
500MB swap partitions (too slow, or flaky otherwise) --- that's for single
user boxes!  That's where the figure 100's came from.

> Besides, this looks just like the blurb we wanted to avoid until 2.0.

Fair enough.

> I think a "small" announcement might be good, but I'm afraid this isn't
> it. This is not an announcement at all; it's pure ad-hype. Just as bad as
> the "where do you want to go" stuff.

IMHO We definitely need a small announcement.

I think it ought to contain a certain amount of hype --- there isn't going to
be room to put all the details and caveats, so why not try to capture the
spirit of the thing, and let people who are interested get detailed info from
the web site.

If we can put something together that sparks the interest of the more
competent NT sys-admins, while having enough jargon to frighten the plebs,
then I think that would be perfect --- anyone else want to have a go ?

Cheers, Phil.