Our social contract with the free-software community

A few days ago someone brought up in personal email the matter of the
"social contract" between Linux distribution makers and the Free Software
community. I've taken the time to elucidate the social contract that Debian
might provide it's community. Please read and comment.

	Thanks

	Bruce

We are Software In The Public Interest, producers of the Debian GNU/Linux
system. This is the "social contract" we offer to the free software
community.

We promise to keep our GNU/Linux system entirely free software.
Our free software guidelines are included below. We will support
our users who develop and run non-free software on Debian, but we
will never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

We will contribute to the free software world that provided the
programs in our GNU/Linux system. When we write new programs, we will
license them as free software. We will produce the best free-software
system we can, so that free software will be widely distributed and
easily used.

We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
community. We will make the best free-software system for them that
we possibly can. We will put their interests first, heeding the needs
of other interests only when that is important to fulfill our users
needs.

The Debian Free Software Guidelines

1. The software may be redistributed by anyone. The license may restrict
   a source file from being distributed in modified form, as long as it
   allows modified binary files, and files that are distributed along
   with the source for the express purpose of modifying the source.

2. The license may not restrict any party from selling or giving
   away the software, nor may it require a royalty or license fee.

3. The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
    persons unless their use would violate a law.

4. The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
   in a specific field of endeavor where such use would not violate any
   law. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in
   a business, or from being used for genetic research.

5. The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
   source as well as binary form.

6. The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the
   program is redistributed without the need for execution of an
   additional license by those parties.

7. The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
   being part of a Debian system. If a person extracts the program from
   Debian and uses it or distributes it without Debian, that person and
   any people to whom the program is redistributed should have the same
   rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the Debian system.

8. The license must not place restrictions on other software packages that
   are distributed on the same software medium. For example, the license
   must not insist that all other programs distributed with it must be
   free software.
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.