Re: Guy: Please change "frozen" to "stable" and release Debian 1.3 .

> Yes, can't we just delay the release until next week? It would give us time
> to fix the bugs reported in the install reports recently posted to
> debian-devel and to integrate XFree 3.3 (many security fixes, Matrox
> Mystique support, etc.). I think it's going to look (very) bad if people
> who buy Debian 1.3 CDs have to download 30Megs (how big is X?) to uprade to
> 1.3.1. We can call what we have now 'the Debian 1.3 prerelease'. We just
> post a message to debian-announce saying that it's solid and that people
> can start upgrading via ftp now... But we're delaying the 1.3 release by a
> week so we can fix the last few big bugs (shadow stuff? We should include
> explanations of the bugs are and workarounds in the annoucement) and ship
> with Xfree 3.3, which closes many security holes...

We can always delay another week and another week and another week, but at
some point you have to draw the line.  Developers forget that other users
have been waiting for months (some since the release of 1.1) for the new
distribution.  Developers keep fairly up to date, but many people are
just waiting.

There is no way X3.3 can be verified in 1 week.  The package is huge!  It
will take at least a month to be satisfied that it works.  Sure it closes
security holes and fixes bugs, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it
introduces new bugs and new security holes.

If a user wants to upgrade X from 3.2 at a later time, there is _nothing_
preventing them from doing so.  I don't trust it enough to send out
as "stable", though!

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )