Re: how did this happen?

> This is "strictly" an X problem and does not effect
> ormal user login unless the system boots into X by default, something we
> hould discourage during an upgrade in any case simply because X can be so
> witchy.

Most of our users probably use X, and most of them probably start xdm,
because it's a good way to log in to X. We should probably _not_ tell
these users they have to disable xdm during an upgrade. It makes our
"easy upgrade" look like a fiction.

> Under normal X installation the problem doesn't
> even show up unless some additional packages are added to the mix, and
> even then, multiple passes over the install phase eventually get
> everything right.

I really dislike the "tell the user to run dpkg/dselect multiple times".
It's another thing that makes our easy upgrade look like a fiction.

> It seemed at the time, and I haven't been convinced
> since, that this was a package ordering problem.

That's what it looks like from here. I'm also concerned that X installation
could be easier - the user should have an easy way of getting the graphical
configuration - this may mean that server packages have to recommend
xserver-vga16 .

> I'm a bit concerned about your attitude Bruce. You seem to imply that
> myself in particular and the release team in general haven't done their
> job. We have been working under a consistent set of release criterion and
> have been more concerned about the security problems with X than anything
> else.  (Clearly not on your priority list)

I do put "packages don't work when installed" above security issues when
those problems have one-line-fixes and we have no good fix for the security
issues until XFree86 3.3 comes out.

I think that the testing group did a good job, and I appreciate its
difficulty. I think we also are operating the testing group on a release
for the first time, and we are guaranteed to have made some mistakes.
We will learn some lessons from this release and change some procedures.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.