Re: CALL FOR VOTES: First of two votes on social contract

On Jun 5, Bruce Perens wrote
> I would like to see how many of the developers are able to accept the
> "social contract" in its present form. This will tell me how much more
> work it needs, and whether it is necessary for me to weaken the
> free-software provisions in the present contract. We will debate it some
> more after this vote, and THEN I will call for a SECOND vote to ratify it.
>
> Please read the text below, and then use the WWW form
> http://www.buoy.com/debian/survey to vote. The vote is open from now until
> Midnight Pacific Standard Time on Monday.

While I like the voting system, once more I find the choices presented to me
not expressive enough. Don't take this as critism of the voting system, but
as a realization of its limits.

I agree that a social contract is important; I agree with the intentions
behind the current text, however, upon rereading the text, I think that the
following paragraph should be reformulated in a more positive fashion:
> We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
> community. We will put their interests first, heeding the needs of other
> interests such as commercial software manufacturers only when that is
> important to fulfill our users needs.

Putting myself in the position of a commercial software manufacturer, it
is all too easy to read this as "keep out". One of the complaints I often
see on Usenet about Debian is the lack of supported commercial software
compared to Red Hat or Caldera.

I suggest to replace this paragraph by something like
: We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
: community. We realize that the needs of our (potential) users include
: software and services which the free software community cannot currently
: provide. In order to address those needs, we will cooperate with
: commercial software manufacturers in making their products available on
: Debian systems, and we welcome their input.

That we resolve conflicts of interest in the best interests of our users and
the free-software community, is a natural consequence of this formulation,
which IMO need not be stated explicitly.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks