Re: CALL FOR VOTES: First of two votes on social contract

On Jun 6, Dale Scheetz wrote
> > E.g. suppose company XYZ produces a commerical XDM, and would like to
> > make it available for Debian users. Now XDM is currently in xbase, and
> > it is in XYZ's interest to see xdm in a separate package, for plug-in
> > replacement.  I don't want to send out to XYZ a message "don't even
> > attempt to consider asking the X maintainer to split his package". What
> > I want, is to send out a message to XYZ "Sure you can ask the X
> > maintainer to split her package; we leave it up to her to decide whether
> > or not it is in the interest of Debian and it's users to do so, under
> > Debian's guidelines (esp. the social contract), and whether or not to
> > actually do it".
> >
> This is exactly the kind of "marketing" manuevering that I don't wish us
> to get embroiled in. It is quite clear to me that the GPL is in place to
> discourage the "take over" of any free software by a "proprietary vendor".

I'm not arguing about a "take over". I'm talking about making it easier for
the users to be able to replace or add commercial software to their system,
should they wish so. In no way do I want to add non-free software to our
core system.

> The scenario you suggest would provide avenues of attack for replacing
> free software with proprietary replacements.

It provides opportunities for users to use commercial software more easily,
should they wish to use such software.

> Even if this manufacturer's version of xdm were in some way superior to
> the free software version I would be uninclined to encourage its
> replacement with a proprietary version.

There is a difference between "making it possible in an easy fashion to
replace a package by a commerical one" and "encouraging users to switch to a
commercial package".

Greetings,
Ray (going home for the weekend; it's to humid to do serious thinking here)
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.