Re: CALL FOR VOTES: First of two votes on social contract

From: Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com>
> I still disagree with this.  I strongly believe that Debian should allow
> software that can be redistributed freely in its unmodified form into
> the main distribution.

Well, of course we've gone around this many times. For the record,
I don't think that we should carry software that prohibits downstream
modification because it prohibits ports and bug fixes without the author's
explicit cooperation. This cooperation is not always forthcoming, either
because the author has decided to make money from a particular platform,
or becuase the author has somehow left the scene - has become too busy or
has even died, leaving heirs who don't know a thing about software.

Debian's stance on free software has been an effective tool in making more
software free. This alone is sufficient reason to retain that stance.

Regarding artistic control, the provisions about diff files make it
possible for authors to restrict what is distributed as _their_work_
without restricting modification. I think this is as far as we can go
without painting ourselves into a corner when it comes time to go to a
different OS like the Hurd, or to a different window system, or to fix
a bug.

> 6. The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the
>    program is redistributed without the need for execution of an
>    additional license by those parties.

Brian:
> While a good goal, I don't think it is necessary to write it in stone.
> I've yet to see a rule that didn't have an exception somewhere.

These are guidelines, not a legal document.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.