Developer's handling of bug reports

It has recently been mentioned that new users aren't often reporting bugs
that they find.  I would agree that this is likely.  When I was new to
Debian, I believe I reported a bug or two that I found.  However, the
response was not very good -- developers would say that I was an idiot, or
whatever -- so I would just fix the things myself and remain silent about
it.  It wasn't until I became a Debian developer myself, and knew when
people were giving me BS, that I started reporting bugs again.

Developers, when you get a bug report, you should tread the submitter with
respect.  A bug report is not an insult to you in any way, and there is no
reason to insult the submittor.  For instance, here is what I got recently:

   On May 30, joost witteveen wrote:

> go wrong that never should go wrong. However, as the bug-reporter doesn't
> want to give more information about that part (using term instead of
> x11 menuentries), I suscpect that he's simply too shy to admit reporting
> something that never happened.

Now calling me a liar is not exactly respectful behavior!  I had already
provided an example of the problem...  (I believe it was with xemacs or
emacs).  Accusing me of lying about it is not productive!  I figured that if
all that is going to happen with that thread is that I will be insulted,
there is no reason to continue it -- I have enough other things to occupy my
time, Debian-related and otherwise, than to fool around with stuff like
this.

With beginners, this could be much worse -- it could scare them away from
the OS or at least from reporting bugs.

I really don't understand what purpose insulting people that submit bug
reports has anyway...

When we deal with bug reports, keep in mind that we are dealing with people
that are not necessarily part of the Debian project -- all the flaming,
insulting, etc. that is on debian-private (and sometimes debian-devel)
should be kept OFF the bug system!