Re: master down

'Michael Neuffer wrote:'

>I replaced dpkg et all by hand just as the has been discussed here, as is
>in the online docs and as I did it with several other machines too.....
>
>It looks like dpkg managed to install just the right mixture of new libs
>together with old libs that all hell broke loose.

I don't trust dselect's unpack everything and configure them later
approach.  I tend to install all of base by hand:  dpkg, ldso and libc5
first.  Especially when upgrades are not incremental, dselect's
strategy is risky.  Though I would like to know what went wrong.

>What you saw when you logged in was just the beginning.

I had an install of bo blow up three weeks ago.  It turns out that a
mirror went awry and was using 100 Megs of RAM which on an 8 Meg
machine and only 90 Megs of swap was ... a problem.  Anyway the kernel
killed dpkg and my root shell midway through installing libncurses or
some other base library.  I couldn't ls, su, nothing.  Fortunately, I
tried "ldconfig" as a normal user and lo and behold everything fixed
itself.  Thank goodness ldconfig is statically linked.  I su'd, ps aux,
kill the mirror and the machine is still up!  Except now it's "bo"!

I imagine ldconfig didn't help in your situation?

>The next time I will make a new install from scratch, not an upgrade.
>However this will require those people that installed binaries
>outside /home/Debian and /home/Archives to reinstall them.

Don't give up so easily.  Although skipping releases (1.1 -> 1.3) makes
things harder, It can work.  Besides we need clues to help prevent
these problems from happening.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary