Re: Results of "social contract" survey

From: Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es>
> If the author dies or become unavailable, diffs could become much greater
> than the original source, which would be absurd and ugly (to name a few).

Then all Debian packages will be absurd and ugly, because it will be
the policy of Debian to not modify the author's original source tar.gz
unless we absolutely can not avoid it. This is necessary for trace-ability.
Trace-ability is, unfortunately, now essential for free software if anyone
is going to _trust_ free software. You should be able to tell _at_a_glance_
what came from the author, what came from another third party, and what
came from Debian. In my opinion un-traceable software is perhaps less free,
not more free.

Note also that authors are never absolved of all responsibility for their
software. "No warranty" doesn't apply to criminal actions like inserting
a trojan horse in a program. When that happens (and it will) I want to be
able to tell exactly how the bad code got in to the system.

There are some parts of the free software issue in which I feel there is no
room for compromise. This is not one of them, and I have compromised in a
way that I feel is advantageous for Debian, the software authors, and the
users.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--