Re: Results of "social contract" survey

  Thomas>  AFAIK, octave and oleo are under the GPL, but they use gnuplot for
  Thomas> their graphics output (and would be pretty useless without it),
  Thomas> although it's only marked as "Suggests" in the Packages file.

I disagree about the uselessness. I use Octave as my main calculation engine
for all my work in my real job, and I don't plot that often with it.
Moreover, Octave's plotting could be reimplemented using .m files that call
something else.

As for oleo, I didn't even know it could plot... Isn't ignorance a blessing
as I maintain the other spreadsheet (slsc) ? :-)

However, there are mood points. I like gnuplot. I used it for almost all my
graphs in grad school (which I am out of for almost a month now :-] ).

  Thomas> If you want a main distribution that isn't usable for work in
  Thomas> Academia, go ahead and move that all to non-free...

That would be quite a setback.

--
 edd@debian.org  edd@rosebud.sps.queensu.ca  http://rosebud.sps.queensu.ca/~edd
    PGP key fingerprint = B2 49 75 BF 44 2C B7 AA  50 CB 19 7D 80 F7 CB DC