Re: packages with unmodifiable-sources in non-free

> From: Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es>
>   seyon:
> "  Seyon is Copyright (c) 1992 of Muhammad M. Saggaf. Seyon is not
>   public domain. Permission is granted to use and distribute Seyon
>   freely for any use and to sell it at any price without reference to
>   the copyright owner provided that in all above cases Seyon is intact
>   and is not made part of any program either in whole or in part and
>   that this copyright notice is included with Seyon. Permission is
>   also granted to modify the source as long as the modified source is
>   not distributed.
> "

He doesn't give you permission to distribute modified binaries.

>   pine & pico:
> "Pine and Pico are trademarks of the University of Washington. No
> commercial use of these trademarks may be made without prior written
> permission of the University of Washington.
>
> Pine and Pico software and its included text are Copyright 1989-1997 by
> the University of Washington.
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose and without fee to the University of
> Washington is hereby granted, provided that these legal notices appear in
> all copies and supporting documentation, that the name "Pine" is retained,
> and that the name of the University of Washington is not used in
> advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software
> without specific, written prior permission.  This software is made
> available "as is".
>
> Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey the
> right to redistribute derivative works, the University of Washington
> encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which can be applied
> to the University of Washington Pine distribution.
> ..."

Again, there is no permission to distribute modified binaries.

>   xsnow: (Author: Rick Jansen)
> "Xsnow is available freely and you may give it to other people as is,
>  but I retain all rights. Therefore it does not classify as 'Public
>  Domain' software.
> "
> but Stephen Early wrote:
> "The following was mailed to me by Rick Jansen:
>
> > I'd like to include xsnow in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution (see
> > http://www.debian.org/), but I'm unsure whether your copyright allows me
> > to do so.
>
> Distribution of Xsnow as I released it is allowed. Distribution of Xsnow
> with changes is not, unless it concerns changes to the Makefile/Imakefile.
>
> Hereby I allow you to include Xsnow in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.
> "
>
> What do you think about it?

He doesn't make it explicit, although he might be implying that binaries are
OK. We would like it to be explicit.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Debian.novare.net   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.