Re: "Social Contract" [anti-trust]

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Tim Sailer wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > No but if you mark your land as posted, but allow some folks to violate
> > the boundaries while you have other folks arrested, the courts are likely
> > to declare your restictions invalid.
>
> Depends on how you post it. My 7 acres in Maine are posted:
> No Hunting without Permission

Exactly! If you let your friends hunt there but have you non-friends
arrested, you loose legal standing for your restriction. As long as
everyone is treated equally on the issue of hunting then your restriction
is valid.

> > > The usual cause for losing trademark protection is not going after people
> > > who use it in a way you have not allowed, even after learning about it.
> >
> > What was exactly what I meant with my comments about "selective
> > inforcement". Bruce's statements seemed to indicate that we would
> > selectivly use the trademark to stop behavior that we find objectionable.
> > That is we will use it against folks whose activities we don't approve of
> > while allowing others to use the trademark in a similar circumstance, but
> > while doing something that we do approve of.
> >
> > > Solution: explicitely allow everything you don't want to go after people
> > > for.
> >
> > I we can, in fact, make it explicit, what use we accept, and what we
> > reject, then the trademark is, indeed, the way to do this.
> >
> > Sounds like we need to create a GPT (GNU Public Trademark) statement.
>
> Heh... is GNU trademarked?

Not that I know of, but I am pretty ignorant about such things, as anyone
who reads my "legal ideas" is well aware. I was trying to draw a parallel
between the GPL and a "normal" copyright and the possibility of a GPT that
holds the same relationship to the "normal" trademark. Something which
keeps the distribution of the name unrestricted, while forcing it to
always refer to the product (and be associated with the product) produced
by the Debian Project, in a way that only truely derivative products can
utilize.

Waiting is,

Dwarf