social contract and documentation policy

Hi,

I just realized there is a problem which affects both the documentation
policy and the "social contract".

There is no mention in the "social contract" that source formats for
documentation must be provided and that we must be able to modify the
documentation.

I don't know whether this is an oversight or the distinct treatment of
docs and code was intentional.

Anyway, as it is now, we might have to deal with documents provided in binary
format only (PS,DVI) by the upstream author. Those documents can't be either
converted to HTML or indexed or modified. That's a problem.

I see two solutions:

	1) We supply HTML summaries of those docs (see the text of my proposal
below), which in time could become a replacement of the original docs.

	2) We require that original authors to release original sources of
documents.

What do you think?

[I guess discussion of case 1) should go back to debian-devel]

Here is the proposal to the documentation policy that I made some time ago:

Documents originally in binary format (PS, DVI, PDF, MS-WORD) for
which no conversion is possible should be packaged separately. A file
explaining how to get the documentation (including which programs
the user will need: ghostscript, xdvi, MS Word) and a brief summary
of the document should be included in the binary package in HTML format, or
a convertible one.

Thanks,
	Fernando.