Re: CD funds in

From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> I wonder what the ratio of sales of the CD with the donation are vs. the CD
> without the donation.

I'm told that they are getting more $9.95 sales than $4.95 sales.
I didn't ask for the exact numbers.

> Since we're actually pulling in some money now, I was just wondering
> what sort of reporting is required (since we're a non-profit).

Currently the donations-in report is on our web site. The funds-out
report is not there yet, but it should be eventually. Unfrotunately,
what we do with money so far is pay for the legal expenses of starting
up a non-profit and getting the status that lets you write donations off
of your U.S. Federal Taxes. At the rate donations are coming in, I think
we'll finish that off by August, thank goodness.

Once that's done, there are the little expenses like post office boxes
and the domain fees, which up until now came out of my pocket. There
will probably be some travel and lodging expenses for people to promote
Debian at trade shows and Linux conferences, but fortunately the trade
shows have been paying for me to speak of late and thus that has not
cost Debian anything, hopefully that will continue. We will be
actively soliciting for grants from various funding sources that will
be to sponsor people working on free software or supporting it, and we
may use some direct donations for this as well. We will probably at
some point have to pay for some networking infrastructure, although we've
been doing very well with donated services from Internet providers so far.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.debian.org for PGP public key.