Re: Interesting dpkg issue, plus thoughts...

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

>> I am not aware of any changes made in dpkg for debmake. Given Ian's
>> attitude towards debmake that is not to be expected.
>
>Ian is no longer the package maintainer.

But Ian was / is a major influence on dpkg maintenance.

>> Debmake does not make decisions for you it just provides defaults.
>>
>Debmake inserts a call to an outside script called debstd which makes
>decisions at package build time about which files go where and in what
>state while building the debian/tmp directories. Debmake inserts
>additional files into the debian directory to hold distributed information
>that would be better centralized in the rules file.
>If debmake created a rules file with explicit sections for each phase of
>the package construction I would have far less of a problem with the
>concept.

You can simply edit the rules file and throw that call out if you want.
Implement your favorite scheme. I'd be happy to have something better than
debmake. There were so many complaints about debmake being changed that I
think it to be better if the functionality of the debmake package stays
the same. Another and a better package might offer alternative ways of
helping with packaging software in the future. But since there is such a
large number of packages using debmake we better be careful with changes.

>You do tend to read things in a way that suites your argument. I see no
>indication that the dpkg package has been abandoned.

Everybody sees the situation their way.... And the situation via e-mail is
even more difficult since you cannot see the other sides and thus are
unable to use the common emotional cues to evaluate what was said.

>> Lets fix it or get rid of it.
>>
>I would rather see your attitude repaired, if by fix it, you mean,
>re-design it to suit your ideas of what a package system aught to contain.

Fix it meaning get rid of the bugs not redesign it. The problem with
deity is that it is a long range solution. The bugs need to be fixed.