Re: Smail problem

> there may be a problem with smail on some installations. On my box, I'm
> running generic smail 3.2 (self-compiled, not from a particular distribution).
> The problem is that on some distributions, /var/spool/mail is mode 1777.
> For a user who has no /etc/aliases entry or .forward file, and no mailbox
> in the spool directory, I can now
>
> 	ln -s ~user/.rhosts /var/spool/mail/user
> 	echo "localhost okir" | smail user
> 	rlogin localhost -l user
>
> and get the user's shell prompt. Most likely targets for this kind of
> attack are newly installed users, and system accounts whose homedirs
> happen to be actually writable by them (e.g. uucp).  Apparently, smail
> neither checks the mailbox file's owner, nor does it complain about
> symlinks.
>
> I'm astonished that this kind of attack actually works, even though
> the implications have been discussed for ages.
>
> Please check whether your distribution is affected, and let me know.
> Someone running sendmail, can you please also check whether sendmail
> is vulnerable?  I will also inform the current smail maintainers.

sendmail never delivers email to the local mail-spool. SuSE-Linux uses
procmail to deliver the email to /var/spool/mail<user>.

SuSE has also an smail-Package, but that is not really supported by SuSE.

procmail is very picky about security-things. Though I think that programs
like "adduser" should also include a "touch /var/spool/mail/<user>".
Then nothing bad can happen.

As the mail-spool-file should also never be removed, but just truncated,
this problem can only occur until the first email is delivered.

Greetings,

Florian La Roche