Re: gnuplot

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
>
> >   - Would it be OK if I (gnuplot maintainer) made the .deb and the .tar.gz
> >     essentially identical, and put a "./debian/rules build" etc. in
> >     the postinst? (still, I agree, the package needs to go into
> >     non-free).
>
> This would be very tricky. I would much prefer to release this
> Debian package as .orig + .dsc + .diff in a "do-it-yourself" fashion.

Yeah, looks nicer, but has the problem that people that auto-build
the distribution will fall into a trap (they will auto-build gnuplot,
and possibly put their auto-built binaries up for ftp).

> > [ ... ]
>
> >        	* Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
> >        	* distribute the modified code.  Modifications are to be distributed
> >       	* as patches to released version.
> >     So, I uuencode  the original gnuplot binary, I uuencode the
> >     debian gnuplot binary, create a diff (the two uu.files will be
> >     completely different, so the diff will just contain both files),
> >     and distribute those files. Would that be OK?
>
> I don't think so. They did not released any Linux binary...

Well, as I understand it it's OK to distribute a gnuplot binary
that was compiled from unmodified sources. So, in principle
the whole lot _could_ work.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj