Re: contrib/non-free policy

Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu> writes:

> First of all, let's our policy be to place (port) as much as possible
> of this not_free software into the distribution to give user _choice_.
> Let's not hesitate to put application in whatever from allowed - binary
> only, unmodified source only, installer, etc. Use every possible special
> agreement of copiright holders with Debian, etc.

>From reading your posts, I think you must have a vision for a
different kind of distribution than the one Debian intends to be.
Debian is dedicated to *free software*, as we recently defined it,
first and foremost.  The fact that we support stuff that's not free is
just an added bonus[1], but it is *not* the primary focus.  I think I
speak for many of the developers when I say that if that focus ends up
making Debian second in popularity to other distributions, then so be
it.  (It's no accident that we are currently endorsed by the Free
Software Foundation.)

One could easily start creating a distribution that is willing to
incorporate any software regardless of its distribution policies
(dealing with NDA's, negotiating distribution specific licenses, etc.)
in order to accumulate the largest collection of software, and I
believe you could even base it on Debian, but it would not *be*
Debian.

[1] I, of course, don't think we should go out of our way to make
things difficult for software that's not free, but we haven't done
that in general, and we even affirm that we won't in the future in the
new guidelines.  However, I do think it's important to maintain the
main=free/non-main=not-free distinction.

--
Rob