Re: gnuplot

[about gnuplot "don't distribute modified binaries" policy]

> If the GNUPLOT authors don't want their program used that way, we have the
> option to honor their wishes and replace their program, which is a better
> option in my opinion than getting into a legal dispute with them in the case
> of GNUPLOT.
>
> I think, however, that they will relent when it becomes clear to them
> that their program could be replaced over this little issue.

Absolutely. But there you have the catch 22 situation: If I were
sure the Gnuplot authors were never to allow distribute modified
binaries, I'd have much more insentive to start and write the
replacement. But I'm pretty sure that if I do write it (and
am say half-way, i.e. have something much worse than gnuplot now),
the gnuplot authors will change the license, and thus the countless
hours I spend writing my replacement are all waisted (essentially,
anyway). So, to prevent waisting my time, I don't intend to write
a replacement, and thus the gnuplot licence stays the same :(

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj